Friday 26 January 2007

Thing #12: Paint a picture good enough to hang on the wall

When I read this Thing my initial reaction was that the 101 Things had just become 100. Ironically, not only I can not use a map to get from A to B (see my previous post my fellow good reader), I can not even draw a straight line from A to B. So, what were there chances I would manage to paint something good enough to hang on the wall.

I started thinking I could use one of the 'Learn how to draw in 17 steps' kind of self-taught courses that they advertise on TV, or I could even go to a drawing class for real. Nah, that's too artistic for me. Then it stroke me (ironically ironic!) that I could use the PC to draw something. I validated by decision by thinking that I have replaced pencils and pens with the keyboard and the mouse for many years now, so that should be fine.

Having overcome this initial hurdle, I started thinking about what to draw. I decided to draw something that was based on simple geometrical figures, but encapsulated something complex. For a long time I have been thinking that random events in our lives often dictate our future. Have you ever wondered for example when you meet someone how many times you may have previously passed by them without even thinking about it? Why would you anyway? You don't know him or her, do you?. And then you get to know them and your whole life changes. I am fascinated by this 'random purposefulness'. I guess this sounds like the butterfly effect to some extent.

The image below is what I came up with. I call it 'City Life', because the two main lines reminded me of the city's skyline. I gave it to a friend who promised to have it hanged, so not only have I drawn something, but convinced someone else that it does not look tooo bad.



No comments: