Friday 31 December 2010

Happy New Year

It's customary to look forward to the New Year on a day like this, but it may be more appropriate to step back and see what took place the past 12 months. Sometimes we feel an urge to discard and forget, pretending there was this black box that can encapsulate all that we want to leave behind us. I suppose it's only to be expected. We want to forget the bad moments and look forward to the new adventures that lurk just around the corner. However, there seems to be a gap in between the two: the good moments, which as per always we don't treasure enough.

You may start thinking that I have fallen into the cliché holiday trap and that I have already started compiling lists of new year's resolutions! Actually, I have not, although ironically I am thinking of compiling such a list just now. It's just that for me it has been a good year, overall. Actually, the last couple of years have been good, very good indeed. Not everything was perfect, but they were good! Despite the difficulties there were these 'special' moments that made every struggle worthwhile. I guess without them they would not have been special. Now, what I came to realise is that during the past 24 months I more or less got closure in many challenges I had set for myself over a decade or so. It's like 10001 Things to do before the decade is over! It sounds dramatic, probably because it is. Well, for me anyway! It's a great feeling to be happy with your place under the sun, know where you are coming from and have a direction. No I have not figured everything out and neither do I know how things would turn out. I am just happy that I can shout: so far so good!

With a tabula rase as my to do list and a clean email inbox (does not happen often), I am ready for 2011 new adventures!

All the best for the New Year.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Happy New Year! Sometimes the best accomplishments are day to day life adventures and overcoming personal challenges! Hope you have a great 2011!